Couscous parfait with cinnamon yogurt

I'm an oatmeal person.  I love it.  I mix mine with frozen raspberries, honey, cinnamon, and granola, and it's so good every time.  I go through phases of eating oatmeal 4 days a week, but sometimes I need a change.  When the oatmeal just isn't doing for me what it used to do, I fall back on this couscous parfait.

I learned this recipe when my dietetics class visited HyVee and the dietitian on staff gave a presentation and made this healthy and fast breakfast for us.  At first, I was like, "Whaaaattt? Couscous for breakfast?"  It seemed strange, but it was so good!  I was really impressed, and I've made it regularly every since.


Couscous parfait with cinnamon yogurt
Serves 1

1/3 cup dry whole wheat couscous
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup regular or Greek yogurt (you have flexibility here - you can use vanilla or plain.  I use plain Greek yogurt and sweeten it myself with a little honey)
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
Berries (your choice)
Granola (for my favorite granola recipe, visit Amateur Gormet)

Pour the dry couscous into a microwave-safe bowl.  I don't measure - I just dump until it looks right.  Remember, though, it will swell quite a bit when it cooks, so it's better to use slightly less than what your stomach tells you it wants.

Add the water on top of the couscous.  Once again, no measuring for me.  I add water until it covers the couscous and there is about 1/4 inch of water standing above.

Pop it in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.  If it still hasn't absorbed all the water, let it sit on the counter for a minute or two.  It will get soaked up.
Put the yogurt in a bowl and stir in the cinnamon.  Spoon this on top of your couscous after the water is absorbed and it looks light and fluffy.
Add your berries on top and sprinkle with some granola.
And there you go.  About 3 minutes gets you the easiest, fastest breakfast out there (that requires any skill beyond pouring cereal and milk into a bowl...).  It's delicious and healthy.

Labels: , , , , ,