Apple and poppyseed slaw (Recipe Redux)

It's time for Recipe Redux again, and this month's theme is Treasured Cookware. Participating bloggers were given instructions to make a healthy recipe using our most precious kitchen tool. For me, picking just one treasured item is a challenge; I've been collecting kitchen gadgets far longer than I've had a kitchen of my own, and I've had many amazing gifts (including a beautiful set of copper-core, stainless pots and pans, a stand mixer, a food processor, an ice cream machine, a grain mill, knives... the list goes on) given to me throughout my years cooking. However, because I don't have a lengthy legacy of die-hard chefs in my family, my collection of tools handed down to me by relatives is small. You won't find ancient cast iron, well-loved casserole pans, or old, trusty wooden spoons in my kitchen. But just because my most-loved kitchen tools are shiny and new doesn't make them any less precious to me.

For our first Christmas after we were married, my husband bought me a beautiful Wusthof classic chef's knife. All home chefs know what a difference a good, sharp knife makes in your kitchen, and this one gets any job done. It slices beautifully through tough meat, hard vegetables, and melon rinds with ease, it's comfortable in my hand, and it makes knife skills a breeze. The fancy machines and expensive gadgets are always fun to use, but a good chef's knife is the heart of the kitchen.
A good knife is a beautiful thing when working with cabbage. My love affair with cabbage goes on and on. It's sweet-bitter flavor and satisfying crunch put it toward the top of my list of favorite veggies. Even if cabbage isn't a favorite for you, this slaw is a delight. It's hard not to love a colorful bowl of crunchy cabbage slivers mixed with tart green apples and coated with a sweet, tangy dressing. It's also a good chance to break out your favorite knife and practice your chopping and slicing skills.
Eating healthy is fun with it's this colorful!
Apple and poppyseed slaw
Serves 6

2 cups shredded green cabbage (about 1/4 medium)
2 cups shredded red cabbage (about 1/4 medium)
1 granny smith apple, cut into eighths and sliced thin
1 large carrot, grated

For the dressing:
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
  1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, honey, mayo, lemon juice, and poppy seeds. Slowly whisk in the olive oil, creating an emulsion. When everything is thoroughly combined, add salt and pepper to taste. Feel free to adjust the flavors to your taste, adding more vinegar for extra tang or more honey for a sweeter dressing.  
  2. Combine the green and red cabbage, apple slices, and grated carrot in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the vegetable mixture and toss to combine.
  3. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour before serving to allow the flavors to marry. Serve chilled.

Labels: , , , , ,