Immunity juice

In the midst of an emotionally taxing job, daily responsibilities, and the stresses life tends to bring, I'm always grateful for a moment to slow down. I tend to ruin these opportunities for myself, though: a worrier by nature, I have a tendency to dread the coming tasks and tomorrow's worries instead of taking life moment-by-moment. This, of course, leaves me feeling drained and wondering when I will ever be able to catch my breath. What I fail to see most days is that the opportunity for recovery and rest - both physical and mental - is there, but I don't always seize it. I'm trying to grasp the idea that there will always be to-do lists, projects that need finishing, and problems that need my attention, and sometimes they need to stay un-done and not worried about for the sake of sanity. It's something I'm working on.

Today, though, I'm getting it right. Life at this very moment looks like a quiet afternoon on my comfy, well-worn sofa, tea in hand, windows wide open to let in the cool spring air, The Civil Wars playing on repeat, and components of tomorrow's dinner cooking on the stove. Inhale. Exhale. Life is good.
I avoided getting sick this winter. I feel like I can say that now that it's March and the first official day of spring came and went on Friday. Now, this was no small feat: I work in healthcare, and I can't count how many rounds of the common cold, the flu, gastroenteritis, and pinkeye came through my workplace this year. Yikes. I'm chalking my victory up to a strong immune system assisted by plenty of sleep, fresh produce, and Theives spray.

If you find yourself needing a boost, this juice might provide some help. Brilliantly colored by beets, turmeric, and carrots, it is packed with antioxidants, anti-inflammatory nutrients, and loads of vitamins C and A. I love my juicer (an Omega J8006), but if you don't have one, check out my Winter Goodness Smoothie, which can be made in a good blender, and substitute turmeric for the ginger.
Holy brilliant color.
Immunity juice
Serves 2

1 beet, peeled
7 carrots
3 oranges, peeled
2-inch piece of turmeric, peeled

Cut your fruits and vegetables into pieces small enough to fit through your juicer's feed chute. Turn on the machine and feed the chopped produce through, alternating soft and hard ingredients. Give the juice a good stir before drinking. Store tightly sealed in the fridge for up to 48 hours.

Labels: , , ,